Thursday, August 21, 2008

Surgery Day for Tanner

Tanner had several ear problems and infections like many kids when he was little. In 2005, he had his Tonsils/Adenoids out and his second set of ear tubes put in. Well those suckers stayed in place for three years (very unlikely) and had to be removed. The doctor said this is rare, but they have to be removed to make sure they don't create a permanant hole. So today he went into Primary Children's to have the surgery. It was a great experience. They are so great with kids there, he want to go back for surgery again!!

After getting into his little surgery clothes, he got play playstation, color, play with doctor tools and pick the smell that he would be put to sleep with. He met the anethesiologist, Dr. Tanner and thought that was sooo cool that a "Tanner" was going to be with him during surgery. He asked if they'd wheel him back into the OR in a wheelchair. It was so funny.

After the surgery, we met him in recovery where he was still sleeping. We asked him how things went and he said,

"Mom, I didn't even go to sleep!"

I assured him that he had and he said,

"I'm SERIOUS Mom, I didn't go to sleep!"

I showed him the picture I took before he woke up and he said,

"Oh, well, can I have a slushy now??"

And that was that. We were drinking slushies and were on our way home within 20 minutes. Our other kids have been mad or irritated coming out of anethesia, but not Tanner. He was ready to go! After a second slushy, of course.

1 comment:

Ashlee Swensen said...

Oh how funny I am always so grateful for the little surgery that I am there for Primarys is such a humbling place. I am glad that all went well.